Return to Golf
The Return to Golf Program is a specialized part of Carolina Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine. It is designed to take a golfer of any skill (in their later phases of rehab) and help them return to playing golf at their highest level of function. You will be matched with a Golf Pro who will provide you with a videoed swing analysis. He will work with you and your therapist to design a return to golf program that will maximize your abilities.
If your body is not prepared when the season starts, you could hit the ball improperly. This often leads to injury, worse performance, and further frustration. Whether you are an avid golfer or someone who puts on your spikes only a couple of times a year, physical therapy can promote optimal fitness to improve your performance and prevent golf-related injuries. Common issues can include:
- Poor balance and stance
- Poor posture
- Decreased motion of the neck, shoulder blades, mid-back, and hips.
Golfers with muscle tightness, joint restriction, or poor body mechanics can struggle to consistently execute their golf swings. A thorough physical therapy evaluation and treatment plan can help you maximize your ability to transfer energy through your body to the club with better efficiency and speed.
A physical therapist will provide and guide you through exercises specifically designed to:
- Improve mobility of all joints (e.g., neck, shoulder, back). Limited mobility could affect your swing.
- Improve flexibility of your hips and shoulder musculature as they are both critical to your follow-through and your backswing.
- Improve dynamic balance and a personalized plan for improved shot follow-through. Poor control of the abdominal and hip musculature could cause you to finish your swing off-balance.
- Improve core strength, which is the base of a good golf swing.
A physical therapist can help golfers achieve proper biomechanics and body movement to prevent injury, eliminate pain from an existing injury, and/or improve their game and level of consistency. Your physical therapist will help you customize a rehabilitative program to:
- Identify the biomechanical challenges that are impeding your peak golf performance
- Create a treatment plan to address the deficit that is impacting your golf game
- Provide manual therapy to decrease pain and expedite healing of any current injuries
- Provide therapeutic exercises to achieve long-term recovery and prevention of injuries
A physical therapy evaluation can improve posture and mechanics, therefore, improve anyone’s golf game and score. Schedule an appointment today to help make the most of your pastime!