Welcome to Carolina Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine, Inc.
Carolina Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine is a local and privately owned physical therapy practice with locations in Columbia, Charleston, Sumter and more. Our clinics feature state of the art equipment and our professional staff members are the most experienced in the region. We accept all major insurance carriers.
Our hands-on approach provides services that examine and treat immediate problems. We then teach patients how to use their bodies properly in order to gain strength and mobility and to prevent future injuries. We utilize evidence-based treatment protocols which are both objective and measurable. We are committed to educating our patients so that they understand their personal treatments.
Carolina Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine, Inc.
Learn more about our specialized physical therapy services here:
Physical therapy is the treatment of physical dysfunction or injury by the use of therapeutic exercise and the application of modalities to restore or facilitate normal function and movement. If you suffer from physical limitations and/or ongoing pain caused by an injury or illness, physical therapy can help you lead a fuller life. It includes the evaluation, treatment and/or prevention of neuromuscular, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular and pulmonary disorders that produce physical impairments and/or functional limitations.
Therapists at Carolina Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine are educated in understanding the interaction of all body systems. Our licensed staff of Physical Therapists (PT) and Physical Therapist Assistants (PTA) provide services which decrease pain and ultimately increase functional independence.
Before your first Visit
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time; In addition to your completed patient information form, please bring your driver’s license, and your insurance card if applicable.
A physical therapy referral may not be required. Please call our business office at (803) 788-8484 in order to find out if a prescription is required by your insurance.
Carolina Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine, Inc., is a provider for all major insurance plans. As a courtesy to our patients, we will make every effort to verify your benefits and coverage for physical therapy before your first appointment. If you have any questions regarding your insurance benefits prior to your initial visit, please do not hesitate to call our business office at (803) 788-8484 for more information.
We accept all major insurance carriers. Please call if you do not see your carrier listed.
- BCBS – Federal
- BCBS PPO
- BCBS State
- Blue Choice
- Carolina Care Plan
- Liberty Mutual
- Mail Handlers
- Medcost Preferred
- Medicaid (0-18 years of age)
- Medicare Replacement Policies:
- Advantra Freedom
- American Progressive Life
- Blue Select
- Care Improvement Plus
- Medicare Advantage
- Universal Health Care
- Mutual of Omaha
- NALC Health Benefit Plan
- Premier Health Systems
- Secure Horizons
- United Healthcare
- Wellpath Community Health
- Attorney Cases – Auto Accidents and personal injuries
- Self pay programs
- Advantra Freedom
- Align Network
- Cambridge Solutions
- Care Improvement
- Care IQ
- Companion Prop.
- Gallager Bassett
- Network Synergy
- SC School Board
- Southeastern Claims
- State Accident Fund
- US DOL
- Waggoners Trucking
New Patient Forms
For your convenience, you may print and complete these forms prior to your first visit.
Physical Therapy – New Patient Forms | Download
This copy may be faxed, mailed or hand-delivered to the clinic. DO NOT EMAIL FORM.
For Additional Questions Please Contact Us
Our Physical Therapists (PT’s) and Physical Therapist Assistants (PTA’s) are licensed by the state of South Carolina.
We believe that we can provide you with the highest quality of care available and do it in a cost-effective manner. You will work closely with your physical therapist. Your case will be managed by the same physical therapist from the beginning to the end of your experience with us.
In most cases, you have the right to choose any physical therapy clinic. Our practice is a provider for many different insurance plans. Simply give us a call and we will attempt to answer all of your questions.
Yes, you can.
During your first visit you can expect the following:
- When you arrive for your appointment, you will complete some important paperwork. You may download the forms from our website: see the paperwork or forms link.
- You will need to provide us with your prescription for physical therapy.
- We will copy your insurance card and identification.
- You will be seen for the initial evaluation by the therapist.
- The therapist will then formulate a list of problems you are having and how to treat those problems. An individualized plan is subsequently developed for each patient. This plan is created from your input, your therapist and your doctor.
The therapist will discuss the following:
- Your medical history.
- Your current problems/complaints.
- Pain intensity, what aggravates and eases the problem.
- How this is impacting your daily activities or your functional limitations.
- Your goals for physical therapy.
- Medications, tests, and procedures related to your health.
The therapist will then perform the objective evaluation which may include some of the following:
- Palpation – touching around the area of the pain/problem. This is done to check for the presence of tenderness, swelling, soft tissue integrity, tissue temperature, inflammation, etc.
- Range of Motion (ROM) – the therapist will move the joint(s) to check for the quality of movement and any restrictions.
- Muscle Testing – the therapist is checking for strength and the quality of the muscle contraction. Pain and weakness may be noted. Often the muscle strength is graded. This is also part of a neurological screening.
- Neurological Screening – the therapist may check to see how the nerves are communicating with the muscles, sensing touch, pain, vibration, or temperature. Reflexes may be assessed as well.
- Special Tests – the therapist may perform special tests to confirm/rule out the presence of additional problems.
- Posture Assessment – the position of joints relative to each other may be assessed.
The therapist will then formulate a list of problems you are having, and how to treat those problems. A plan is subsequently developed with the patient’s input. This includes how many times you should see the therapist per week, how many weeks you will need therapy, home programs, patient education, short-term/long-term goals, and what is expected after discharge from therapy. This plan is created from input from you, your therapist, and your doctor.
Make sure you bring your physical therapy referral (provided to you by your doctor), your payment information and identification such as your driver’s license.
If your insurance is covering the cost of physical therapy, bring your insurance card.
If you are covered by Workers’ Compensation, bring your claim number and your case manager’s contact information. If you are covered by auto insurance or an attorney lien, make sure you bring this information.
You should wear loose fitting clothing, so you can expose the area that we will be evaluating and treating. For example, if you have a knee problem, it is best to wear shorts. For a shoulder problem, a tank top is a good choice. For low back problems, wear a loose fitting shirt and pants.
Your initial treatment session will typically last 60 to 90 minutes.
Subsequent treatment sessions will typically last up to 60 minutes.
Billing for physical therapy services is similar to those at your doctor’s office. When you are seen for treatment the following occurs:
- Our charges are based on CPT (Common Procedure Terminology) codes.
- Codes are transferred to a billing form that is either mailed or electronically communicated to your insurance company/ payer.
- The payer processes this information and makes payments according to an agreed upon fee schedule.
- An EOB (Explanation of Benefits) is generated and sent to you and Carolina Physical and Sports Medicine with a check for payment and a balance due by you.
- You are expected to make payments on the balance, if any. Installment plans can be arranged through our billing office.
As a courtesy, when you arrive at our office, a staff member will gladly assist you with contacting your insurance carrier to obtain your coverage and benefits information.
Each patient’s coverage can be different. It is ultimately the patient’s responsibility to know and understand their insurance coverage.
There should be a toll free number located on the back of your insurance card to call and obtain your benefits coverage for outpatient physical therapy.
We gladly accept Cash, Check, Money Orders, Visa and MasterCard.